Event Photos: October’s St. John Sip & Learn
On October 12, Ivonn Goihman and Rochelle Weinstein hosted a Sip & Learn at the Aventura Mall St. John Boutique. Shoppers enjoyed champagne while learning about The Women’s Fund Miami’s mission to improve the lives of women and girls. A portion of the evening’s purchases benefitted The Women’s Fund Miami.
Equal Pay at League of Cities Conference
300 government officials and staff learn how cities are implementing Equal Pay legislation
On October 13, hundreds of government leaders, elected officials, and their staff from 32 municipalities in Miami-Dade gathered to discuss the most pressing issues in our community at the Miami-Dade League of Cities (MDCLC) Best Practices Conference.
MDCLC selected our Equal Pay Miami-Dade initiative as a featured breakout session for the conference. The application and selection process is rigorous, and we were honored to win a coveted spot!
Subject matter experts from government and private sector along with a representative from the City of Boston Mayor’s Office joined our esteemed panel. With Amanda Plasencia of NBC 6 moderating, our panelists included County Commissioner Danielle Levine-Cava; Yoselyn Galiano, Manager of the Village of Pinecrest; Brenna Callahan from the Boston Mayor’s office; and Janet Altman, Marketing Principal and Women’s Fund Chair.
It was encouraging to see so many city and local officials taking interest in Equal Pay and willing to work with us to implement pay equity initiatives. In case you missed it, the session was live-streamed on Facebook.
The Equal Pay panel was just the latest exciting opportunity for us to bring attention to the Pay Equity movement. In the few short months since our campaign launch we’ve accomplished a lot—we’re excited to continue making strides toward achieving Equal Pay for all women in Miami in 2018.
Miami-Dade County Commissioners Resolution on Equal Pay
Miami-Dade Florida Board of County Commissioners Resolution to Enact Equal Pay Legislation:
The Board of County Commissioners approved a resolution urging the Florida legislature to enact equal pay legislation to address disparities in pay between men and women. The resolution was sponsored by Commissioner Rebecca Sosa and was unanimously adopted and passed on October 3rd, 2017 by the County Commissioners.
The Women’s Fund Presents: Nonprofit Workshop Series
The Women’s Fund will present a series of five workshops this year designed to help non-profit leaders make their organizations more sustainable. The workshops will feature presentations on topics that will assist organizations to build capacity. Last year we offered two sessions which were so well received that we decided to increase the number of workshops this year.
We are featuring five dynamic speakers, each of whom will share her expertise about a topic on which she has done significant work in the nonprofit community:
- November 1: Catherine Raymond, President, Raymond Consulting, Inc.
- Topic: “Grants 101, Tips for Successful Grants Research, Grant Writing and Grants Management”
- November 29: Julie Katz, Director of Annual Giving, Miami Children’s Health Foundation
- Topic: “Cultivation and Stewardship of Donors”
- January 24: Sherry Thompson Giordano, Executive Director, PACE Center for Girls Miami
- Topic: “Leadership and Nonprofit Management”
- February 21: Anita Uppaluri, Member, The Women’s Fund Board of Directors
- Topic: “How to Tell Your Story with the Most Impact for your Donors”
- March 21: Kerry-Ann Royes, CEO, YWCA Greater Miami-Dade
- Topic: “How to Collaborate with Other Nonprofits”
Register below or at bit.ly/WomensFundWorkshops2017
All workshops will be held at The Center for Social Change Miami at 2103 Coral Way, 33145 on Wednesdays from 8:30 – 11:00 am. Registration and a light breakfast will take place from 8:30 – 9:00 am with the presentation beginning promptly at 9:00 am.
Individual workshops will cost $10 in advance and $20 at the door.
Subscriptions for the entire series of five will be available for $40 until October 30 at 5 pm. Purchase of a series ticket will entitle any one person from your organization to attend each session – it need not be the same person to enable you to send the staff member most appropriate to attend based on the topic.
Equal Pay Miami-Dade Update
It’s hard to believe that it has been only three months since the Women’s Fund Miami-Dade announced the Pay Equity campaign in early July! During this short period of time our staff and board have been able to meet with Miami-Dade elected officials, business owners, corporate executives, employees and other important collaborators to get the word out. Some of the highlights of the last three months include:
- The written endorsement and Statement of Collaboration received from Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez;
- A groundbreaking resolution passed by the City of Miami on September 19, 2017 identifying the City as a Pay Equity partner;
- Our participation as a presenter at the Miami-Dade County Women’s Equality Day event in August hosted by the Miami-Dade Women’s Council; and
- Being invited to facilitate a panel discussion which will include a representative from the Boston Compact on Pay Equity at the upcoming Miami-Dade League of Cities Best Practices Conference